It’s two days to the American designer’s opening show at Singapore Fashion Week. Ahead of her visit, we got her to share what she’ll be up to in town.
1. There’s the show, of course: New York’s undisputed queen of fashion (hey, she is the president of the Council of Fashion Designers America, or CFDA) will open Singapore Fashion Week on Wednesday, May 13, with her Fall/Winter 2015 collection. It’s on at the Tent @ Orchard right outside Ngee Ann City at 7pm and expect a crowd – tickets are sold out and even seats for press are limited.
2. She’s gracing not one, but two boutique openings: The Ion Orchard branch has relocated to the third floor (#03-01, above) while a new branch will be revealed at The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands (#B2-18). During our exclusive interview with her during Paris Fashion Week in March, she calls the new store concept a stronger reflection of the brand’s DNA: “Printed art and canvas wall coverings in black steel frames line the walls throughout. In the fitting rooms, luscious drapery in DVF pink creates spaces that celebrate and empower the DVF woman. There’s a section dubbed the “The Wrap Shop”, which offers the Heritage line of wrap dresses, gowns & jumpsuits in our most iconic prints.
The shops will also offer the full range of ready-to-wear including dresses, sportswear and eveningwear, and a broad selection of accessories including handbags, shoes, small leather goods, scarves, jewellery and sunglasses.” (If you want a chance to see her in the flesh, try the Ion Orchard relaunch party happening tomorrow, May 12 from 6pm.)
3. And she’ll probably pop by her “Journey of the Dress” exhibition: Already open to public on the ground floor atrium of Ion Orchard, the travelling exhibition (above), first revealed last year as part of her brand’s 40th anniversary, showcases 30 variations of her most famous design, the flattering wrap, from both the archives and more recent collections. Alongside: Early advertisements, stills from movies that have featured the wrap, and stunning portraits of DVF herself. Hurry to catch it – it ends May 14.
4. She’ll be spreading the word of the CFDA – live: Ever wondered what the Council of Fashion Designers America does exactly, and what it means to be its president? The designer, who’s held the top position at the CFDA since 2006, will be discussing this and more with the organisation’s CEO Steven Kolb at Lasalle College of the Arts’ Singapore Airlines Theatre on May 13. Buy tickets to experience this here – if you’ve ever seen her reality TV show House of DVF, you’ll know she’s witty and humourous.
5. Speaking of House of DVF (that’s that cast of season one above): In the vein of most fashion reality TV shows, travelling to a nice, exotic place makes for great television and Singapore checks both boxes, yes? Could Singapore get some air time on season two that’s set to premiere on E! this September? We can only hope.
6. And hopefully she’ll squeeze in some leisure time: From our interview in Paris in March, DVF hearts Singapore, dubbing it “the Switzerland of Asia” and it’ll be her second time here. Top of our recommendations of places to visit: Gardens by the Bay. What’s yours?
Read more about Diane von Furstenberg in our May 2015 issue where she shares her latest indulgences and why she adores New York.
Fashionable Creatives Sabrina Elman And Charmaine Seah On The Importance Of Good Food And Good Times
Fashion Photographer Chuck Reyes Shoots A Series Of Intimate Portraits Of His Wife On The Eve Of Lockdown In Paris