The Singaporean was scouted through an Instagram casting call to be a Marc By Marc Jacob’s campaign star for Spring/Summer 2015. Here’s what you need to know about this new (and seriously cool) face.
1. She’s of Malay, Arab and Indian heritage: Explains the 24-year-old’s exotic looks though her eclectic braided do has more to do with…
2. Her obsession with FKA Twigs: She calls the British singer (who will be performing here at Laneway
Jan 24) her “favourite fashion influencer” with her uncoventional style.
Her signature look includes braids, bold jewellery and lips, and crop tops (the bra she’s got on here is from local label Yesah’s S/S ’15 collection).
3. Modelling is not her occupation: Despite the MBMJ gig (which she joined “for fun”) and stints fronting campaigns for local labels Mash-Up and Yesah (she’s pals with the designers), she’s not signed to any agency (but she’s open to offers!). Instead she splits her time between studying communications part-time at the Singapore Institute of Management, and organising events on a freelance basis.
She’s in local label Mash-Up’s S/S ’15 campaign…
… And the F/W ’14 Yestotes campaign video of local label YESAH (that’s her in front)
4. She’s dabbled in publishing: She was an intern at Juice magazine in the early 2010s.
5. She’s also into fashion photography: She was a production assistant to Singapore-based lensman (and Female contributor) Ivanho Harlim.
6. Girl can bust a move: She dances aerobics-style in one of the films from Karaoke Party, an interactive video installation that celebrates local fashion launching at a by-invite-only event at Keepers tomorrow. To catch it, visit the pop-up boutique flea market Jan 17-25.
7. And she’s going to be really busy on Saturday: She’s part of a four-man team behind boutique festival Super0 Openair happening at the former SIA Changi Sports Club on Jan 17 and is in charge of social media marketing.
See Rahmat introduce herself in the teaser video of Marc By Marc Jacobs’ Spring Summer ’15 campaign, which was shot by David Sims and styled by Katie Grand (awesome!):